Book 3 (21-30)

第21集 事事如意 (As You Wish)

1.  Hello.I’d like to tell you a little bit about this item in my hands here.

哈囉,我想要向大家簡單介紹一下我手上的這件物品。


2. It’s a common decorative item in Taiwan and the little white part here as you can see is a talisman that shows that they wish you good luck, or everything as you wish.

在台灣這是常見的裝飾品,你看到的白色小物件是一個護身符,這表示人們祝福你好運或是事事如意。


3. It’s pronounced “ru yi”. It means as you wish.

他的發音是「ㄖㄨˊ ㄧˋ」。意思是如你所願。


4. The second part of this talisman is the two orange things at the bottom.

這個護身符的第二個部分是底部這兩個橘色的東西。


5. They are two pieces of fruit and they’re persimmons.

這是兩顆水果,它們是柿子。


6. The word for persimmon in Chinese is “shi”, “shi”[also] means “thing”.

在中文裡 persimmon 這個字是「柿」,ㄕˋ也有「事」的意思。


7. If you say it twice ”shi shi ”, that means everything.

如果你說兩次就變成「事事」,代表所有的事情。


8. Now this icon is called “shi shi ru yi”, that means we hope everything in your life goes smoothly and as you wish it to go.

這個吊飾叫做「事事如意」,意思是我們希望你一生當中的每件事情能夠順利並且如你所願。

第22集 釘書機 (Stapler)

1. Hello, there.

   嗨。


2. Today we’re gonna talk about the pocket personal staplers.

   今天我們要來討論袖珍型個人釘書機。 


3. These are very useful whenever you want to staple things together, and which quite 

   frankly, we mostly often do.

   這種釘書機非常實用,當你要把東西裝釘在一起時,而且老實說我們很常做。

useful (adj.) 有用的 


4. So this is your basic component.

   這是基本的零件。


5. This is the stapler.

   這是釘書機。 


6. It opens up.

   它可以打開。 


7. The staples go inside there.

   釘書針放在這裡面。


8. There is a little contraption with spring that push all of them to very front, 

   彈簧這裡有個小東西,會將釘書針推到非常前面。


9. When you wanna staple, put your documents, whatever you want, staple them, depress it, and when you release, Voila.

   當你想要釘東西時,放入文件或是任何你想要釘的東西,把他們釘起來,往下壓,當你鬆開時,瞧。


10. You stapled.

     你已經釘好了。

第23集 膠水 (Glue)

1. Hi, there.

   嗨。 


2. Today we’re gonna talk about glue. 

   今天我們要來談論膠水。 


3. This is a bottle of glue, which conveniently has a roller at the end of the tip. 

   這是一瓶膠水。十分便利的是在頂端的地方有一個滾輪。 


4. So, when you want to glue something together, you basically turn it over, touch the roller,  and roll it on whatever you gonna glue. 

   所以,當你想要將東西黏貼在一起時,你基本上,將它轉過來,觸碰滾輪,並且在你想要黏貼的地方滾動它。 

第24集 存錢筒 (Piggy Bank)

1. Hi, there. 

   嗨。


2. We’re gonna talk about piggy banks or coin banks.

   今天我們將要來談論存錢筒(或存硬幣筒)。


3. Many of them are like this.

   很多的存錢筒就是像這個樣子。


4. After I first initially saw this one, all I saw was a sandwich.

   我第一次看到這個存錢筒時,我所看到是一個三明治。


5. But then I look at it in the middle, and if you look carefully, there is a pig in between two pieces of bread.

   但是接著我看中間的部分,如果你仔細看的話,有一隻豬夾在兩片麵包之間。


6. This is a coin bank, ‘cause you see there’s a little slot here in the back, where people put theirspare change or their coins, and they save them, all these coins until they decide they wanna take them out.

   這是一個存錢筒,因為你會看到它的背後有一個小小的投幣口。人們可以從這裡把他們的多餘的零錢或硬幣投入,他們把全部的硬幣存起來,直 到他們決定要把這些錢拿出來為止。


7. And when they wanna take them out, instead of breaking it and getting them out, there’s a littlehole in the bottom here, where you can take out your coins out when you’re done and you wannacollect your coins.

   而當他們要把這些錢拿出來時,並不是將它打破把錢拿出來。底部這裡有 一個小孔眼,你可以從那裡把你的硬幣拿出。當你存錢告一段落,並且想 要取出你的硬幣時。


8. Piggy bank.

   存錢筒。

第25集 螢光筆 (Highlight Markers)

1. Hi, there. 

   嗨。


2. Today we’re going to talk about highlight markers.

   今天我們要來談論螢光筆。


3. Highlight markers basically imply their name.

   基本上螢光筆這個名字就暗示了它的用處。


4. They highlight things.

   它們用螢光來突顯事物。


5. Let’s say we’re doing some reading and studying and you want to really focus on something within text.

   比如說我們在進行一些閱讀或學習,而你想要真正專注於課文中的某些內容。


6. Well, highlight markers are great.

   螢光筆就很好用。


7. Basically open them up, and you highlight with a bright color whatever you wanna focus on.

   基本上要把只要筆蓋打開,並請用明亮的顏色來標示任何你想要強調的重 點。


8. So, at a later day, you can turn back to that page and not have to skim the whole page but you can go directly to where the information is.

   如此一來,往後的某一天,你可以翻回之前的那一頁,而且不用將整頁瀏 覽過,就可以直接看到重點在哪裡。


9. And those are highlight markers.

    那就是螢光筆。

第26集 書擋 (Bookends)

1. Hi, there. 

   嗨。


2. Today we’re going to talk about bookends.

   今天我們要來談論書擋。


3. These two decorations which look like dogs facing away happen to be bookends if you look at them.

   這兩個看起來像是小狗把臉轉過去的裝飾品,如果你仔細看的話,恰巧也 是書擋。


4. What they do is you stand books up on edge and you put the bookends on each side.

   書擋的作用是,你把書豎起來,然後你在兩側放書擋。


5. What that does is it holds your book in an upright position.

   那樣的作用是,它以筆直的狀態支撐你的書。


6. These just happen to be in the cute shape of a dog sitting down.

   這些書擋剛好是一隻可愛的小狗坐下來的形狀。


7. Bookends.

   書擋。

第27集 透明膠帶 (Scotch Tape)

1. Hi, there. 

   嗨。 


2. Today we’re going to talk about scotch tape. 

   今天我們要來討論透明膠帶。 


3. Usually scotch tape is very hard to unstick or unroll. 

   通常透明膠帶很難分開或是展開。 


4. So whenever you try to pick the tape up, when you finally get it, you can stretch yourself off some get a pair of scissors, cut it. 

   所以每當你想把膠帶挑取時,當你最後找到,你可以將膠帶拉開一些,拿一把剪刀剪掉它。


5. And when you put it back, it’s good to like off-camber the tape a little bit, so if you can see  here, it’s easy to pick up the next time you want to use your tape. 

   而當你把它黏回去的時候,最好把膠帶弄成有點不平的樣子,所以如果你可以看到這裡,很容易挑開,當下次你還想要再使用膠帶時。


6. This is good for adjoining things that you may choose to adjoin like paper, for example. 

   這用來黏貼很好,黏你可能選擇想黏的東西,例如:像是紙。

第28集 印章 (Chop)

1. Hi, there. 

   嗨。


2. Today we’re going to talk about something that is a necessity in Taiwan.

   今天我們要來討論某樣在台灣的必需品。


3. It is a chop.

   就是印章。


4. This one is in a nice carrying case.

   這個印章放在一個不錯的攜帶盒裡面。


5. This is my friend’s.

   這是我的朋友的。


6. You open the case.

   你打開盒子。


7. You’ll see that there’s the actual chop itself.

   你會看到有一個真實的印章。


8. And inside the carrying case, there is an ink pad.

   這個攜帶盒裡面有一個印台。


9. Chops are used for official documents or anything like that.

   印章是用來蓋正式文件或是任何類似的東西。


10. If you wanna start a bank account, or even withdraw money, you need  your chop.

     如果你想要開立一個銀行帳戶,或甚至要領錢,你需要你的印章。


11. Simply open your chop case. 

     只要打開你的印章盒


12. You can dab your ink pad, and give your signature.

    你可以輕輕地沾觸印台,並且蓋上你的署名。


13. Chops are necessary in Taiwan,and everybody should have one.

     印章在台灣是非常必要的,而且每一個人都應該要有一個。


第29集 視訊教學 (Skype Session)

1. Today I’m going to talk to you about a teaching system called a Skype session.

今天我要跟你們談論有關視訊課程的教學方法叫做Skype。


2. In the business world, it would be called a videoconference, because more than one person can talk.

在商業界,他被稱為視訊會議,因為交談的人數不只一人。


3. Here we call it a Skype session for teaching. It’s a system that works well.

教學上我們稱它為Skype視訊課程。這是一個效果很好的方法。


4. I’ve been doing it for about a little over a year.

我做視訊教學大約有一年多的時間。


5. Some of the other teachers that you’ll see on Skype I know personally.They are friends of mine.

有些你在Skype上看到的老師我認識他們。他們是我朋友。


6. Some of them I’ve never met. It doesn’t matter if you don’t know them. They are willing to teach you English.

有些我並不認識。認不認識他們並不重要。他們有意願教你們英文。


7. Give it a try. You will enjoy this. The teachers enjoy it. The students enjoy it.

嘗試看看。你會喜歡這項課程的。老師喜歡它。學生喜歡它。


8. And it gives you a chance to practice your English on what you would say is a native English speaker.

它給你一個練習英語的機會,練習對象是你們說的英語母語人士。


9.They may pronounce words differently than you do.

他們和你們的發音可能會不同。


10. We can still talk. Again. This is a good program. Many many people use it. It works.

我們還是能夠對談的。再次強調這是個很好的課程。很多人使用它。它很有成效。

第30集 校長室 (Principal's Office)

1. My name is Jerry. 

   我的名字是Jerry。 


2. And this morning, we’re in the principal’s office at the school. 

   今天早上,我們在學校的校長室。 


3. Most principal’s offices in Taiwan look like very much like this. 

   台灣大部分的校長室看起來就很像這間校長室。 


4. You have the desk with the principal’s name. 

   有辦公桌,上面有校長的名字。 


5. Here the principal is sitting at her desk working. 

   現在校長坐在她的辦公桌前工作。 


6. Other common characteristics of this office: they will have a table, where you can sit. 

   校長室其他常見的特色是:校長室有一張茶几,你可以坐在那裡。 


7. There will be snacks, and you’ll be always offered tea. 

   上面會有點心,而且總會有人泡茶給你喝。 


8. Now, here being invited to the principal’s office is an honor and a privilege. 

   現在,在這裡被邀請到校長室是一件光榮的事,是一項榮耀。 


9. When I went to school, being invited to the principal’s office may not have be an honor and a privilege. 

   我以前讀書的時候,被請到校長室,可能就不是一項光彩榮譽的事了。 


10. Might have meant you were in trouble. 

     有可能是你惹上了麻煩。 


11. Kind of nice to come here and not be in trouble when you get sent to the principal’s  office. 

     當你被請到校長室,不是因為惹上了麻煩才來的話,到校長室是很不錯的。